Saturday, June 30, 2018
A class ninth student of Gundecha Education Academy at Kandivili ended her life by jumping from top floor of her building. Cause is unknown. We are no one to judge her or her family or the circumstances. Family is at loss and so is she. The video of the suicide has been widely shared on social media and parents like in most suicide cases are unaware of the situation. The danger of the suicide video being seen by the children is one of the irony which most of the parents sharing the video are unaware.
I have jotted down some of the facts and remedies which parents can intervene and prevent such events from happening.
1. A child is prone to depression much more than adults.
2.Till the age of 18, a child can be prone to mental illness , disorders and depression.
3. If a child is showing any kinds of withdrawals , sitting quiet for a long time, dreaming , sudden loss of attention span, too many distractions and not interested in anything, temper tantrums, bouts of anger or crying too easily on petty things , please sit with the child.
4. Take leave from work, go for a vacation. Leave everything and talk to him or her. No need to ask her why is she sad or aloof. Just discuss general things to encourage her to open up. Assure that you are there whatever happens.
Don’t ask your child to adjust too much to any changes in life. Everyone has a level of adaptability. Let it happen at its pace.
6. No academics is important than your child’s mental and physical health.
7. No comparing the child with others rather compare with herself/himself. Eg. When you did that test / sang a song/ played well last time, we were more happy.
Children should play till the age they want to. Play is stress busters. Physical exercise is also a stress buster. If they don’t get a chance to play due to less kids or weather, enroll them in some hobby class or pursue a sport.
9. If they like to dance and sing they should do that everyday.
10. Please don’t burden them with school homework , tuition homework and external classes homework. Thinking will be limited.
11. Talk about everything that we converse at home appropriately as per their level. Let them be aware of life's dealings.
12. Listen to them too. If they don’t want tuitions / studies for a day or two, pls give them that break. Explain the consequences of that break. Don’t warn.
13. Allow and encourage them to befriend like minded kids . Let them meet their friends sometimes under supervision. Talk about their friends and their family. Allow child to gauge the nature of her friends so that she or he knows to judge correctly.
14. Probably many of us didnt witness or even heard such incidents because we had plenty of friends to talk and share our thoughts.
Nowadays because of growing instances of manhandling , abduction etc. We dont allow them to go down and play on their own. However, we need to make some time for this. PLAY , having good FRIENDS and parental interaction with kids are critical.
16. One of the best way to deal with a child having any addiction like media, bad company, drugs etc is by diverting him or her and keeping them busy with tasks they are insterested in.
17. Building up their emotional intelligence and helping to manage their emotions is important.
18. DO NOT HESITATE to take professional help if in doubt or if needed. Do not take things for granted by ignoring.
Just wote this blog to increase more awareness among we parents.
Every emotional turmoil can be sorted through right intervention and communication.
Life is priceless.
I am sure that we have faced setbacks at some stage in our life. Calculations have gone wrong in spite of our best effor...
We have been reading a lot about the gruesome murder of seven-year-old Pradhyuman’s body was found in the washroom of a Ryan Internati...
A four-and-a-half-year-old boy has been booked for raping a classmate inside the classroom as well as the washroom of a prominent privat...
A class ninth student of Gundecha Education Academy at Kandivili ended her life by jumping from top floor of her building. Cause is u...